The Economic Development & Planning Department is charged with a number of responsibilities, including the following:
- Preparation and periodic updating of the Town’s Zoning Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan, and Subdivision Regulations.
- Preparation of studies and plans on a variety of topics, including the Town Center Master Plan, Freemans Bridge Road/Dutch Meadows Master Plan, Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan, Schenectady County Airport Land Use Compatibility Study, etc.
- Meet with landowners and prospective developers to discuss land development opportunities, natural resource constraints, zoning applicability, and so on.
- Apply for a variety of grants for projects such as waterfront development and preservation, infrastructure installation, parks development, low/moderate income job creation, etc.
- Preparation of a variety of maps and maintenance of the Town’s Geographic Information System (GIS), which includes layered mapping of parcels, floodplains, wetlands, soils, aquifer recharge zones, water districts, sewer districts, metroplex boundary, streets, parks, streams, etc. The Town’s GIS also includes aerial photos which can form the backdrop of any of the mapping “layers.”
- Preparation and upkeep of documents such as the Vacant Commercial and Industrial Buildings Inventory, Vacant Commercial and Industrial Properties Inventory, Vacant Riverfront Properties Inventory, etc.