The Chief of Police handles the day-to-day operations of the Police Department. He is primarily responsible for the overall management and direction of the police department, which includes four sections; the Patrol Section; Detective Section; Administrative Section and Dog Control Section. In addition, the Chief of Police is responsible for liaison with other Town departments, elected Town Officials, government and private sector agencies, and various community and neighborhood organizations.
The Glenville Police Department serves a population of approximately 28,000 including the Village of Scotia, and covers approximately 50 square miles of territory. The department is comprised of 22 sworn officers, 2 secretaries and 1 dog control officer. The department received over 15,000 calls for service last year.
History Of Police Service In The Town Of Glenville
1821- Town of Glenville legally created and 4 Constables appointed.
1917 - NY State Police created. Troopers on horseback began occasional patrol of the Town from their headquarters in Troy.
1920 - Sheriff's Deputies began occasional patrol of the Town.
1946 - Constables renamed part-time police officers.
1950 - NY State Police opened a patrol station in the Mayfair area.
1951 - Howard E. Pitcher was appointed as the first full-time Glenville Police Officer.
1963 - NY State Police closed the Mayfair patrol station, but continued the occasional patrol of Glenville from their Saratoga station.
1967 - A special committee appointed by the Town Board recommended that a large, full service agency be developed through steady employment of full-time officers, augmented first by part-time personnel.
1968 - Twenty former Deputy Sheriff's were appointed as part-time officers.
1971 - The first two full-time officers from today's force were employed; Jack G. Purdy and Daniel M. Moffett.
1973 - The Town Board met with over 1,000 residents concerned by the lack of police services, high crime rate, and they promised to develop a more effective level of police services.
1976 - After increasing the number of full-time officers to six, William C. Przybylek was employed as the first full-time Chief of Police, along with two more officers.
1978 - As the full-time force grew to fourteen officers, the use of part-time officers was phased out. The first civilian Communications Dispatchers were employed to free officers for on-street duties.
1992 - Jack G. Purdy was appointed as Chief of Police.
1993 - The department instituted the D.A.R.E. program in both school districts.
1993 - The Communications Staff was enlarged to nine dispatchers when the department became part of the County Wide E-911 telephone system and began dispatch services for the Scotia Police Department and eight volunteer fire departments.
2000 - Departmental expansion has continued over the years to the point where thirty-six full-time and one part-time personnel are on the payroll.
2005 - Daniel Boyle was appointed as Chief of Police.
2006 - Michael D. Ranalli was appointed as Chief of Police.
Summary of Special Local Services Provided
* House Check Program - for vacationing residents
* Special Attention Program - for specific recurring problems reported to police by residents.
* Bicycle Registration Program - for coordinated bike registration and safety classes at schools, rodeos, etc)
* Availability of off-duty police officers to police school and community events and keep the peace, with costs borne by the direct users.
* Modern, centrally located facility for convenient access by residents.
* Availability of trained officers specifically familiar with only this community on a regular basis, not subject to assignment in other areas.
* Dog Control Officer assigned to patrol townwide including Village of Scotia.
* Specialized joint traffic engineering and enforcement programs.
* Utilize computerized ticket and accident reporting (TRACS).
* Utilize license plate readers on patrol (LPR).
* Utilize electronic control devices (TASER).
* Use electronic capture and submission of fingerprints (LIVESCAN).